In recent years, stories have been unwinding around the theme of gambling addiction. If you have a gambling addiction, you may feel an uncontrollable urge to buy lottery tickets, visit casinos, play slot machines, bet on sports, or gamble online.
In order to understand the extent of this phenomenon, we are offering an article that will describe the different aspects of gambling addiction, from its appearance to the treatment offered.
Addiction to casino gambling can appear suddenly, and seems to activate the same areas in the brain as other types of addiction (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, etc.). Scientists have indeed succeeded in proving that certain individuals are genetically sensitive to addiction to gambling and other substances.
It is therefore a phenomenon that should not be taken lightly. Prevention will thus protect those most prone to addiction by identifying the first symptoms very early.
What are the signs of gambling addiction appearing over time?
- You spend hours playing without seeing time pass.
- You are always spending more on the gambling interfaces.
- You can’t stop gambling once you’ve reached your limits.
- You play with the intention of remaking yourself.
- You cancel the requests to withdraw your winnings to replay the sums.
What are the impacts of pathological gambling on lives of those affected?
- Financial: Large sums can disappear in a few minutes.
- Personal: Cases of divorce are not uncommon, as are disputes leading to estrangement from the family.
- Professional: Lack of sleep, mood disorders, depression… Gambling addicts can quickly find themselves rejected in the job market.
How to treatment gambling addiction?
There are multiple solutions to regain control. In order to protect players, online casinos have in fact implemented a series of support and prevention measures such as:
- The betting limits.
- Deposit limits.
- Temporary player account closures.
- The definitive exclusions.